Monday 30 April 2007

round the corner....
















Miles: 97
Pasties: 0
Punctures: 0

At home with the family in Cheltenham

Left brother Jack's at 7am, made good progress across the Somerset levels through Highbridge and Edithmead despite a keen wind out of the east (more of which later), but lots of sun.

Bested the cheeky edge of the Mendips at Cross and cut across to Clevedon for a well-deserved coffee and cake. Then on via a quiet little lane (thanks Dick & Chris for that tip) to Pill and the cycelway across the Avonmouth bridge . Not ideal for saddos like me who get vertigo in socks, plus the now very strong easterly wind that seemed to want to push me back to Cornwall (maybe I should have had a pasty while there?).

Thence through sunny Avonmouth (twinned with Hell), and Aust where we got back onto the small back roads to Berkeley for lunch in a bag from the bakery (very nice Corned Beef and Salad roll, plus gooey chocolate cake).

It was now getting quite hot, and coupled with the wind and the A38 traffic, the 10 miles to Quedgely were a bit of an ordeal. Nick & I split up at Matson, and I went on to pick up my girls from after-school club and nursery. It was great to see them and Jo.

Tomorrow meeting Nick at 7.45 for the long slog up to Whitchurch. Still, the weather looks good.

4 comments:

ibusby said...

Much better to have had all the punctures at once than to have them spread out all over the place.

I'm worried that the pastie count isn't higher - where are you getting the energy from?

Ant said...

I've just worked out that the miles is cumulative but the pasty and puncture count is daily. I thought you were making good progress doing 90 miles / day. I think I need to get a map out!

Ant said...

Not sure this is going to work but I got the map out.

Will said...

Laughed my socks off when I saw 10 punctures, all Lester's! Just make sure you don't cut off any spokes ;-)

Bit disappointed you didn't tell me you'd be going through Pill yesterday... I'd have made sure I was out in case you came knocking!

Best of luck to you both!
Will